A couple of weeks ago, I returned from my annual trek to Gen Con. Since Gen Con 50 was so incredible, I have attended every year since. While I was there, I thought I would pick up a couple of dice sets for a giveaway, as I know not everyone is so fortunate to attend Gen Con. After all, attending big conventions is often expensive.
I posted the following tweet.
I got a lot of great convention memories as a response. Sadly, I also received a lot of comments from people that said they had never attended a convention. I’ve only been to Gen Con and one other, but I think the convention experience is something every gamer should experience if they want to.
I followed up this post with a poll asking what the biggest barrier was for those had never attended a convention. Here were the results:
– Social anxiety
– Dislike of crowds
– Health/mobility issues
– A combination of the options (travel & cost, for example)
There were some great, supportive responses from many gamers. Suggestions of how to deal with convention anxiety, quiet spaces at some conventions, and having a con buddy to walk newcomers through their first experience. However, the biggest contributor was still cash.
While I’m not exactly rolling in dough – I’ve got a mortgage, some student loans, and a couple car payments between my wife and me – I wanted to do something about this, at least for one person!
Norse DM Convention Sponsorship
From now until the end of September 2019, I will be accepting submissions for a convention sponsorship.
Before you enter, please make sure you satisfy the following criteria.
- You are at least 18 years of age
- You have never attended a tabletop, board game, or RPG-related convention in your life
- You can arrange transportation to a local convention, be it by Uber, bus, friend, etc.
How to Enter
- Your Name.
- Your Email.
- Up to Two (2) Conventions You Would Like to Attend. If you could attend a convention near you, which one would it be? Why?
- Short Bio. Tell me about yourself. What is your favorite RPG or board game? How long have you been playing? What are your other gaming interests?
- Why Haven’t You Attended a Convention Before? Please tell me briefly what barriers you have faced in attending a local convention. How could this sponsorship help you?
By entering, you agree to be featured on http://www.NorseDM.com and my Twitter profile as the winner (if you are chosen).
I will sponsor at least $50 towards one (1) convention for one entrant, chosen by me. This will likely taking the form of a ticket to said convention and possibly additional swag or credit towards events.
To ensure that the sponsorship actually goes towards the convention, I will purchase the ticket for the entrant and arrange delivery, either electronically or by mail. Because I won’t be purchasing the ticket until the end of September, the convention must occur between 10/1/19 and 9/30/20.
Honor & Integrity
There are many people in this world that are struggling from day to day. Disparities in socioeconomic status, health, and other barriers are the result of random chance. This is an opportunity to brighten a gamer’s life despite these barriers.
If you are able and have the financial security to attend a convention, please do not enter this sponsorship. Likewise, only enter this convention if you truly have never attended one.
Thank you to everyone who responded on Twitter. Good luck to all entrants!
– Justice, Norse DM